The £2,500 Swan

After folding and displaying a traditional modular swan, a friend of mine asked me if it would be possible to fold one from five pound notes.

This got me thinking. The ratio of a five pound note is not disimmilar to the paper size required for the swan, perhaps a little longer but I could not see any reason why it could not be done.

After folding the 500 or so units to make the first swan I was not looking forward to repeating the same tedious procedure again but I had to admit the idea was intriguing. How big would it be? What would it look like? Would it stay together? Would the colours of the notes detract from the shape of the model? It was no good, I knew it was only a matter of time before I just had to try it and find out. Perhaps I really should buy myself a television!

2,500 Five Pound Notes!
There was one limiting factor however. There was no way I could afford £2,500 to try out my theory. The only alternative was to scan in a fiver and reproduce it 500 times. As I did not want to be done for counterfeiting, I only reproduced one side "for illustrative purposes only" of course. Also, to ensure that there was no way these specimens could be used in any underhand way, the finished model was glued together. When I have finished with the model it will be destroyed.

As far as the size goes it is not too bad, around 20cm (8 inches) in both height and width. I feel the colouring does detract a little from the graceful shape of the swan and the longer length of the fiver does mean the additional paper inside each folded unit makes for a wider, squatter swan. Many people admire it and think it is a fine model but I have to admit I prefer the original white swan myself.


Does my friend still want one folded from real money? Well, if he does he will have to come up with the wonga and I am sure his bank manager will be happy to provide him with 500 brand new £5 notes, not!

No comments:

Post a Comment